BRONZE for NC HIMSS
We are excited to announce that the North Carolina Chapter achieved Bronze recognition by the national HIMSS organization. Recognition is given to chapters that have gone above and beyond within their geographic region. With the support of our board members, Chapter members, and sponsors, our Chapter has demonstrated a positive local impact.
We are excited to continue providing the gift of valuable programs and networking to our members during the coming year!
2023 Winter Dinner & Networking Event
Monday, January 23, 2023
3:00 pm – 8:00 pm
At the Charlotte Motor Speedway
Education Keynote: Rasu Shrestha
Dinner Speaker: Roy Lewis
Register for the Winter Dinner
Stay tuned for details as they come available.
|February||Winter Education Event (TBD)|
|April||HIMSS National Reception (TBD)|
|May||Spring Social (TBD)|
|Spring||CPHIMS Certification Prep Course (TBD)|
|Summer||Summer Education Event (TBD)|
|Fall||Fall Conference (TBD)|
New NC HIMSS Volunteers
These members will support our special interest groups (SIGs) and coordinate discussions, panels, and related activities on their respective topics:
Mark Mormann, Cybersecurity
Informatics, pending confirmation
Jennifer Jury, DEI
NC HIMSS Scholarship Opportunity
We’re excited to offer a 2023 scholarship of $2,500 to a master’s level college student. Details to come on criteria and timing.
What is the benefit to obtaining CAHIMS or CPHIMS certification? Receiving a HIMSS certification demonstrates your knowledge and understanding of the profession and that you have reached a milestone in your career development. Some specific benefits include:
- Distinguish yourself in an increasingly competitive marketplace.
- Expand your career opportunities.
- Validate your knowledge, competency, and credibility.
- Gain skills and tools to help you make a difference in your organization and community.
- Demonstrate your commitment to continuing professional development and lifelong learning.
- Reinforce sustainability in periods of transition.
- Use of certification marks and digital badges in your professional materials
- Highlight your certification with inclusion in the HIMSS Certification Directory
- Receive priority in HIMSS Certification Opportunities
For more Information check out HIMSS Certifications
Last month: What are the CAHIMS and CPHIMS certifications?
Next month: How do I obtain CAHIMS or CPHIMS certification?
Review courses are an EXCELLENT way to prepare!
Stay tuned for information on a free Certification Review Course
Organizational Affiliate Highlight: ECU Health
ECU Health is a mission-driven, 1,708-bed academic health care enterprise serving more than 1.4 million people in 29 eastern North Carolina counties. The not-for-profit system comprises more than 13,000 employees, nine hospitals, a children’s hospital and two multi-specialty group practices with more than 1,100 providers in more than 180 locations.
- The flagship ECU Health Medical Center, a Level 1 Trauma facility, and ECU Health Maynard Children’s Hospital serve as the primary teaching hospitals for The Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University.
- ECU Health and Brody School of Medicine share a combined academic mission to improve the health of eastern North Carolina and become the national model for rural health and wellness.
- The two organizations provide enhanced rural health training opportunities for medical students and residents, as well as expanded research and clinical trial capabilities. You can learn more about ECU Health’s evolution here, and about the system overall at ECUHealth.org.
What is an organizational affiliate? Healthcare provider organizations, agencies, colleges, or universities with a health information and technology program can join HIMSS as Organizational Affiliate (OA) members.
- The HIMSS OA program extends educational and networking benefits for the entire entity of employees/staff and allows everyone to join HIMSS at no additional cost, including local chapter membership.
- If your organization is an OA, it is simple to sign up at using your OA-related email address at www.himss.org/oa-signup.
Healthcare News to Know
National HIMSS updates and other important healthcare news in our state
- Atrium Health and Advocate Aurora merger approved
- NC COVID-19 early warning indicators increased this month
- DUHS Receives Award Highlighting Excellence in Digital Health Technology
- NCDHHS and UNC Health Will Partner to Repurpose R.J. Blackley Facility into Psychiatric Hospital for Children and Adolescents
- ECU Health names Trish Baise as system’s first Chief Nursing Executive
- Accomplished Researcher, Physician and Educator Named to Lead Atrium Health and Wake Forest University School of Medicine Cancer Program
Become an NC HIMSS Sponsor
Our sponsors help us bring valuable programs to our members. Each month, we’re proud to showcase sponsors in this newsletter to share the value they bring to our community and two of our newest sponsors are highlighted below.
Thank you to all sponsors for supporting healthcare IT, healthcare delivery, and the health of all of us across North Carolina! Click here to learn more about sponsorship.
Lenovo is at the forefront of health and life sciences, partnering with over 3,000 healthcare organizations that use our technology solutions in more than 100 markets worldwide. Our mission is to transform the future of healthcare with technology that betters the lives of patients and the clinicians who provide care.
From improving patient engagement and advancing medical discovery to security and reliability at scale, our device, software, and service solutions empower healthcare teams across the globe. Our healthcare experts help organizations improve clinical workflows, simplify management, and create better patient experiences. Learn More about Lenovo.
Palo Alto Networks is a leader in cybersecurity and innovates to outpace cyber threats so organizations can confidently embrace technology. The organization provides next-gen cybersecurity to thousands of customers globally across all sectors. It provides best-in-class cybersecurity platforms and services backed by industry-leading threat intelligence and strengthened by state-of-the-art automation.
Whether deploying products to enable the Zero Trust Enterprise, responding to a security incident, or partnering to deliver better security outcomes through a world-class partner ecosystem, Palo Alto is committed to helping ensure each day is safer than the one before. The organization received the cybersecurity workplace of choice, recognized among Newsweek’s Most Loved Workplaces (2021), Comparably Best Companies for Diversity (2021) and HRC Best Places for LGBTQ Equality (2022). Learn More about Palo Alto Networks.
Warmest wishes and enjoy the holiday season!
NC HIMSS Board of Directors