The HIMSS North Carolina Chapter is proud to offer the newly named Linda Hoover Academic Scholarship in honor and in memory of Linda Hoover, who passed away in December, 2022. This $2,500 scholarship will be awarded to provide recognition and financial assistance to a current NC HIMSS member toward their undergraduate or graduate degree program related to health management or health information technology.
Linda Hoover $2,500 Academic Scholarship sponsored by NC HIMSS
Program Structure, Eligibility, and Award Criteria
- Applicants must be enrolled in a SACS-accredited undergraduate or graduate degree program related to health management or health information technology, such as:
- Health information management.
- Health information technology.
- Health management.
- Clinical programs.
- Business management.
- Information Technology or Cybersecurity as it relates to healthcare.
- Other program related to health information and technology management.
- Participation is open to NC HIMSS members (student or regular) residing in North Carolina.
- Eligibility for the scholarship will be based on the following criteria:
- Completed application.
- Resume (including volunteer work) or CV.
- Letter of recommendation (academic or HIMSS-related).
- Brief Essay (500-750 words). Essay will be verified to be original content (see below).
- Grade point average of at least 3.0.
- HIMSS member (student or chapter only membership included) and North Carolina resident.
- Willing to attend the NC HIMSS Annual Conference.
Essay: 500–750-word, double-spaced essay in student’s own words that addresses the following:
- Describe an issue facing the healthcare industry along with ways to improve and or address the issue.
- How would this scholarship opportunity benefit you?
Awardee Benefits & Obligations
NC HIMSS will pay $2,500 directly to recipient’s university upon receiving a copy of the bursa’s invoice (typically in August or January).
In return, the recipient will agree to:
- Serve as designated NC HIMSS Student Liaison during the academic year.
- Volunteer to assist in planning the NC HIMSS Annual Conference. If recipient wants to attend the event, the cost of registration is cover by NC HIMSS.