Several health related topics are recognized in May including Mental Health Awareness, National Clean Air Month, and a week-long Nurses Week celebration May 6 – May 12, which encompasses the birthday of Florence Nightingale. Thank you to all of you working in healthcare!
Our chapter was awarded bronze at the HIMSS23 conference in April. Thank you everyone for your efforts this past year and congratulations to the HIMSS North Carolina chapter!
In this Newsletter:
Upcoming Events, Scholarships, SIG Updates, Healthcare News Highlights, Sponsors/Sponsorship
- May 17 – Cybersecurity SIG event and Spring Social to be held in Raleigh will include a panel discussion, “Healthcare Cyber Resiliency: Lessons Learned from the Moore County Power Grid Attack” and Drive Shack outing. Register here!
- June 22 – Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) SIG Webinar. Join us for this free webinar from 11a – Noon. Sameer Doshi will present “I Didn’t Tell My Boss I was Blind When I Interviewed at Microsoft”. Register here.
- October 2-3 – Annual NC HIMSS Conference “Health Living: Exploring the Intersection of Technology and Wellness” will be held at the Marriott Crabtree in Raleigh. Abstracts are being accepted NOW! Submit your abstract by July 10.
2024 – where do YOU want to see the annual conference be held? Give us your opinion here.
The NC HIMSS scholarship is newly named the Linda Hoover Academic Scholarship, named in honor and memory of Linda Hoover who passed away in December 2022 after supporting our chapter for many years. This $2,500 scholarship will be awarded to provide recognition and financial assistance to a current NC HIMSS member toward their undergraduate or graduate degree program related to health management or health information technology. Submit your application for the scholarship here. Applications are accepted through July 15, 2023.
Duke MMCi will be offering two $25,000 scholarships for NC HIMSS members admitted to the Master of Management in Clinical Informatics program. Applications will be accepted soon. Watch for more details at College Foundation of North Carolina. For questions, email MMCi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Interest Group (SIG) Updates
Cybersecurity: Spring Social and Cyber Panel May 17
Panel discussion “Healthcare Cyber Resiliency: Lessons Learned from the Moore County Power Grid Attack” in coordination with the NC HIMSS Spring Social. Panelists are from a local health system, the FBI, and DHS and will share best practices for anticipating, and navigating, ongoing cybersecurity risks and challenges.
Informatics: Look for more updates about opportunities to learn and collaborate with members of this SIG.
National HIMSS updates and other important healthcare news in our state.
- COVID-19 national emergency ended May 11, 2023
- Certificate of Need (CON) expansion
- Atrium Health Vice President, Chief Diversity Officer Receives “Outstanding Leadership & Diversity Impact Award”
- Harnessing Tech and Protecting Health Information Take Focus at Cone Health naming two new VPs
- ‘Hurtling into the future’: The potential and thorny ethics of generative AI in healthcare
Sponsors and Sponsorship
Veritas solves healthcare organizations’ data management challenges by providing an advanced set of tools to help safeguard data across the healthcare ecosystem, supporting clinical and general IT. A multi-layered approach brings together proactive protection, intensive threat detection, and backup and recovery at an enterprise scale. Veritas’ unified platform approach extends beyond data protection and proactive solutions to ensure cyber resiliency that is trusted by many of the world’s largest companies, including 95% of the Fortune 100 and thousands of healthcare providers worldwide. Learn More.
Become an NC HIMSS Sponsor
Thank you to all of our sponsors for supporting healthcare IT, healthcare delivery, and the health of all of us across North Carolina! Click here to learn more about sponsorship opportunities.
Regards from the NC HIMSS Board of Directors